Having suffered from rosacea for a long time, I truly understand the pain, discomfort and even inconvenience it can cause. I remember always trying new beauty products to see if they would help with my condition but I one day realized that one of the creams I was using was causing my skin to be inflammed. I then started to look for a moisturizer for rosacea after the realization. Jennifer Herrmann, MD, FAAD is a dermatologist in Beverly Hills and she calls Rosacea a “chronic condition”.
Table of Content
- 1 Why Do I Need A Specific Moisturizer?
- 2 7 Best Moisturizers for Rosacea – Over the Counter
- 3 Causes That You Need To Know
- 4 What is a Good Rosacea Friendly Skin Routine?
- 5 Skin Care Tips For Your Rosacea
Why Do I Need A Specific Moisturizer?
I know, it’s a lot easier just to buy the one you’ve been buying for years. But if you have rosacea, special creams will help you properly treat your condition.
If they have the proper ingredients, you’ll find that they’ll help soothe your skin and even begin to heal it.
Look for the moisturizer for rosacea sensitive skin with glycerin, mineral oil, and shea butter. Creams will also help to stop the inflammation and reduce the facial redness. On top of this, proper creams can create a protective barrier to increase your skin’s natural healing abilities, helping you look great day by day.
7 Best Moisturizers for Rosacea – Over the Counter
Miravage Rosacea Relief
This relief moisturizer from Miravage can repair and relieve your skin while also acting as a moisturizer, anti-aging cream, and more! It’s clinically proven to work while containing no harmful toxins and keeping all kinds of skin looking healthy and beautiful.
Use this twice a day and start seeing results. It also doesn’t contain any of the nasties – it doesn’t have parabens, dyes, parfums, sulfates or anything that can potentially clog your skin and worsen your condition.
Why It’s So Popular:
- It begins to work after only a week of use, and even lighten age spots on the face
- The scent is pleasant, but doesn’t linger
Honey Skin Organics
As their name suggests, Honeyskin uses organic ingredients to soothe inflamed skin naturally. This non-greasy over the counter moisturizer absorbs into the skin quickly to treat rosacea and help give you healthy, youthful looking skin.
There aren’t even any cheap fillers, so you can be sure you get what you pay for. It also uses potent medical grade Manuka honey and other botanical ingredients. It also has none of the common nasties you should stay away from – parabens, mineral oil, petroleum, fragrance, harsh chemicals.
Not tested on animals and hypoallergenic, this product has the very soothing Aloe Vera as its very first ingredient (as opposed to many other products that are often made up of almost 60% water).
Why It’s So Popular:
- It’s really effective for dark circles as well
- It’s a multi function product that you can use on your lips too
- Honey (all natural) is the main ingredient!
This premium product is made just for rosacea, so you can be sure that the results will be better than a multi-purpose product that seems to target more issues that it can solve. If you’re tired of redness and irritation, these high-quality ingredients should hopefully fix things in a jiff.
As it’s also a cream made completely in the USA, this is a great option to consider. In fact, they even claim you’ll see results in 14 days – a pretty bold claim that speaks of their confidence in their formula.
Why It’s So Popular:
- It doesn’t have any scent
- It’s very effective at getting rid of redness and bumps especially
- Applied with a dropper so you don’t have to worry about mess
La Roche-Posay Soothing Moisturizer
Use this La Roche-Posay Toleriane facial moisturizer every day to hydrate and soothe your skin. La Roche is meant specifically for sensitive skin, and is dermatologist tested to improve your skincare routine.
Thanks to high-quality ingredients and no fillers, you should see proper results. Its lightweight formula is not greasy at all and very easy to wear all day.
You’ll be happy to know it’s also fragrance free, paraben and preservative free – also allergy tested and dermalogist recommended! You’ll be able to use this non comedogenic moisturizer with perfect peace of mind.
Why It’s So Popular:
- Helps to restore pH balance and helps with dry spots, acne and flaky skin
- It’s not too heavy or rich and suitable for every day use
The skin’s natural protective function is important, so it’s a good thing there are moisturizers out there to help restore it. CeraVe moisturizer is one of the best over the counter moisturizer for rosacea and will moisturize and restore irritated skin with only one application per day.
This dermatologist developed lotion is one of their signature products and certainly doesn’t disappoint. Providing 24 hour hydration, its formula is not greasy at all and it’s also free of fragrance and oil. It’s hypoallergenic and won’t irritate your skin.
It features a special formula that incorporates 3 essential ceramides to help recharge your skin’s barrier.
Why It’s So Popular:
- Can be used all over your body as an all-around moisturizer
- Also great as an anti ageing cream
- Many people even say it works better than the more expensive products
Calling their lotion “superfood for your skin,” Era Organics claims to include the most delicate and ideal ingredients for rosacea in their moisturizer. Deep hydration goes into your skin to help restore the healing properties you’re missing while protecting you from any further damage.
One of the awesome things is, the relief and effect you get from this is almost instant. It’s so super soothing and really helps to ease your cracked, painful skin. It also boasts a powerful 10 in 1 formula and hydrates for up to 12 hours! Use it also for itchy skin, dermatitis and a host of other skin issues -it’s just as great.
Why It’s So Popular:
- Also has anti ageing properties
- A little goes a long way so it will last you a long time
- Personally, only 2 applications helped to heal my red, dry, flaky skin
- Organic ingredients!
Causes That You Need To Know
Sadly, the underlying causes of rosacea aren’t well known or even proven. While there is more ongoing research to discover the causes, what we know can help with the management, prevention, or even the cure
The idea that rosacea is a vascular disorder is one of the more common ones thanks to the flushing, redness, and visible blood vessels that appear. It may even involve the nervous system since the condition is aggravated when patients are stressed.
Another possible cause could be the increased blood flow during flushing, which leads to more tissue fluid. When this happens, there’s more fluid than the lymphatic system can handle. The swelling then causes the skin to thicken and redden.
Microscopic mites can also possibly cause rosacea. Demodex folliculorum is one of these, since while it normally inhabits the human skin, it’s found in much higher amounts in rosacea patients. Helicobacter pylori may also be a part of it, as it can stimulate the flushing. It appears to be less common in patients with rosacea however.
Unfortunately, external factors can also act as triggers for your skin inflammation. Factors such as stress, extreme temperatures (whether hot or cold), exposure to UV rays and all cause peptides within your skin to be activated. The increased levels can then go on to cause your blood vessels to dilate or become inflammed.
Sadly, this is really out of our control! Research can’t seem to find a clear cause but it does appear that rosacea can often run in the family.
What is a Good Rosacea Friendly Skin Routine?
A skin care routine good for your Rosacea will improve your skin texture. You will notice lesser inflammation and redness. Your skin should feel more comfortable and look healthier overall. You should also experience fewer flare-ups.
Try to cleanse twice a day. Most people suffering from Rosacea feel like they have to wash their face lesser. But the opposite is true. You should wash your face twice but it’s important to do it gently.
Make sure you moisturize daily as well. The hydration will help your skin. A suitable moisturizer will give you less redness, dryness and peeling. It helps to pick a cream instead of a gel or lotion texture. Try to avoid toners as they can be quite harsh. This helps to reduce irritation.
It also helps to spot test any make up or skin care products before you lap the whole lot on your face. Dab just a tiny amount and check if it irritates your skin in the next 72 hours.
Skin Care Tips For Your Rosacea
There might be no specific, definite cure but it doesn’t mean there aren’t simple steps you can take to try to tone your rosacea down a little.
- Understand what triggers your condition. Pay attention and try to learn what triggers your rosacea dry skin and then of course, avoid them as much as you can!
- You’d want to stay right away from ingredients/chemicals that actually dry out your skin. These chemicals can include menthol, alcohol, witch hazel, peppermint and various kinds of fragrances.
- Understand how important sunscreen is! UV rays is a well known trigger so you can help yourself by slapping on the sunscreen daily.
- Get obsessed with moisturizing! Which is what this whole article is about. Moisturizing is so important because it can help to alleviate the redness and inflammation,
- Be super picky with your make up. Go for high quality, gentle, mineral-based make up. Try to avoid preservatives and additives. Especially since make up stays on for so many hours, you’d be wise to go for something with natural formulas as much as possible. Go with one of our recommendations or the best natural mosturizer for rosacea.
- Stay away from hot water. If you have a habit of splashing your face with hot water, change that habit now. Warm water is a much, much better choice. It’s gentler and doesn’t trigger your skin condition.
Rosacea is a difficult condition to handle. The redness and irritation can annoy, inconvenience and upset. That doesn’t mean that it’s untreatable however. A good over the counter moisturizer for rosacea can very well help! Hope I’ve helped in your search for a good moisturizer for rosacea sensitive skin!