For you to understand how to get rid of oily skin, you must first know what causes it. It is caused by the over-production of skin oil within the pores. This problem typically affects teenagers due to their increased androgen levels. So, if this is because of a naturally-occurring body function, how do you stop it?
You can get rid of oily skin forever by following a strict skin care routine.
Table of Content
How to Get Rid of Oily Skin Forever
Daily Skin Care Routine
There’s a reason why Koreans are known for having the best skin. It’s because they follow a rigorous and time consuming skin care routine. Some of us just don’t have the time and energy for. However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t escape your oily skin like they can. Below is a daily skin care routine we encourage you to follow and why:
- Wash your face first thing in the morning and before you go to bed. Since you’re battling oily skin, your skin produces a lot of excess sebum at night that needs to be toned down. Using a gentle, oil-free cleanser is sure to do the trick.
- After washing your face, make sure to get a good facial toner. Pick one that is designed to combat oily skin and dab it over your skin.
- Moisturizing your skin may seem to take you backwards in your quest for oil-free skin but it isn’t. Keep in mind that oily skin may stem from your skin being too dehydrated. Just like toner, be sure that the moisturizer you use if specifically for combating oily skin.
Weekly Skin Care Routine
Aside from your daily skin routine, you also have to have to set aside time in your week to deep clean your skin.
A lot of people underestimate the importance of weekly steaming. The concept is to take a boiling pot of water and put your face above it. It’s best to put a towel over your head so the steam from the water can be concentrated. This process opens up your pores and softens your dead skin. This readies your skin for the next step: exfoliating.
Exfoliating is best done after steaming when your dead skin cells are softened. You can use a natural and homemade exfoliating scrub which are more effective. We will provide you with a few exfoliating scrub recipes below.
Wash your face with lukewarm water. Then, take a block of ice and drag it over your skin to close your pores to avoid giving dirt an open seat on your skin.
Natural Home Remedies for Oily Skin
Natural home remedies are better than store-bought for many reasons. For one, it is made of natural ingredients. This means there are no harmful chemicals that may ruin your skin. They are also much cheaper and more effective. Below are a few tips, techniques, and recipes you can try out.
Apply aloe vera all over your face and let it sit for thirty minutes. The cleansing and moisturizing properties of Aloe Vera helps get rid of oily skin. Wash it off your face with cool water. This may be used as your daily facial cleanser.
Squeeze the juice of the lemon and dilute it with one part of lukewarm water. Applying just lemon juice on your face may cause it to burn so make sure you dilute it. This can be used as a toner.
Mix baking soda, flour, and lemon juice together. Proceed to apply the paste all over your face and let it sit for thirty minutes. Wash it off your face with lukewarm water.
For exfoliating oily skin, try an oatmeal exfoliating scrub. Just mix one tablespoon of oatmeal, one tablespoon of yogurt, and one tablespoon of honey.
Mix these all together and apply all around your face and neck areas. Leave this on for 10 minutes before rubbing it around in circular motions to get rid of the dead skin.
Proceed to rinse with cool water.
Doing all of the steps mentioned above may be in vain if you don’t follow basic skin care rules. Make sure you’re not the one causing your skin to become oily and damaged. Follow these reminders and your fight against oily skin will be a victory:
- Remember to remove your makeup every night before bed. This will help you avoid clogged pores and dehydrated skin. Take it off with a gentle makeup remover before washing your face at night.
- In line with washing your make up off, be sure to avoid excessive washing of your face. While it may seem like it’s the best way to combat oily skin, it will only cause your skin to produce even more oil. Trust us when we say this will leave you with a bigger problem than you started with.
- Exercising daily for at least 30 minutes a day should be one of your top priorities. This is to help your body and face to open your pores up and sweat your oils out. A big plus is it will keep you fit and healthy in general.
- Avoid oily food.
- Remember to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. This will keep you hydrated and hep your body flush out toxins and oils from the food you ingest.
Oily skin is an absolute nightmare but now you know it can be avoided and controlled. You cannot simply wish it away. You need to be willing to take the necessary steps to have better and non-oily skin. With proper and intentional caring for your skin, you should see improvements soon!